The Penland Cabin

The Penland Cabin
Summer, 2005

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

From Waaaay Back

What a convenient way to catch up with all those who have wandered in and out of Woolson House over the years.  I don't ever remember Ginger Magarine going to First Friday, but she must have if Phil said so.  I do remember Darlyn's first First Friday.  She read a short story.  I remember Stacy Barton from a most wondrous poem she wrote that included (or had as its subject) Mary Magdalen-- and look at Stacy now!  Published in multiple genres.  I've seen Mary Burns in the recent past; she's one of the original FF-ers, and a superb writer.  I think I started going in 1998 or 1999 and compared to these people I'm starting to mention now, I'm a FF baby.  Where's Susan Martin of "Shamrocks" fame?  Susan, are you out there and still writing fab short stories?  Where's Sara Schlossman now that WMFE has gone temporarily (we hope) bonkers?  Such poetic prowess.  Where's Bruce, the retired judge who would, every once in a while, read something that blew us all away?  And Brian.  Brian, we know you're out there, because we're still getting your emails letting us know whether FF is on or not.  And then maybe not on.  And then maybe yes it's on again.  But we know you're there. ( And we know Phil is the ping-pong ball.)  Such happy memories, 

INCLUDING

DON'T FORGET

that we HAVE had FOOD and refreshments at least once.  Maybe twice.  At Christmas.  I remember bringing cold, spiked eggnog from ABC and some wine.  Three hours is too long to sit at a stretch without some culinary diversion.  Even if it's Hershey's kisses.  Or geez, a candy cane or a pop tart or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment